It feels like we’ve already had summer but the school summer holidays are still ahead of us and only 2 weeks to go! Children and teachers across of the country rejoice, whilst, lets face it -us parents are slightly terrified about the thought of keeping these little ones entertained for the next six-to-eight weeks! Fear not, we have loads of great events listed in the summer holidays are of the website HERE.
So let’s hear it for those teachers that have done such a good job over the last year. I find it hard enough looking after my 2 girls some days – these guys manage to look after 30-plus children and make it look easy! They deserve a knighthood – or at the very least, a totally awesome gift.
The “end-of-year-teachers-gift” can be a contentious subject and whilst at Mumbler, we usually like to see both sides of the argument, on this one we are firmly on “Team Teacher”.
These awesome individuals do the most important job as far as we are concerned. They nurture, teach, referee, discipline, encourage & support. They care our about our “babies”. We all know that these days teachers are absolutely bogged down with paperwork & assessments and yet they still manage to put on a cheery face and bring the best out in our children. At Mumbler, we don’t know a single teacher who doesn’t go well above and beyond their job description and so yes, of course they deserve a little thank you from their pupils and parents at the end of the year.
We love supporting local parents so have done a bit of research and come up with some great ideas for the perfect end of year gift for these brilliant, overworked and underpaid teachers that have all been made with love locally.
I’m Vicki Graham, a local Mum of 3 and creator/owner of “Into The Wood”. My business is making beautiful, unique, engraved wooden gifts for the home and garden.
All of my items are handmade by myself from my workshop in Knaresborough, when I say ‘workshop’ it’s more of a converted shed, but we all have to start somewhere.
My background is in art and design, and since purchasing my own CNC router, I am now able to produce high quality, bespoke wood gifts.
I can take your child’s drawing of their teacher, and recreate it onto a wooden board to design a unique piece of art work that their teacher will love. Or, why not have their hand writing engraved on a wooden heart, with a memorable thank you note? Your child will be thrilled to see their work immortalised on wood, and their teachers will be delighted to receive a treasured memory of your child as unique as they are.
These gifts are like no other gifts that they have received before.
Looking for an end of year gift that a teacher will love and use? Neal’s Yard Remedies Organic makes the perfect gift. Neal’s Yard are a British owned natural organic health and beauty company. Our passionate belief that beauty should be natural, not synthetic, has been at the heart of our business since we started, over 30 years ago. We believe in your right to know what goes into the products you buy.
We have a huge range of products including; skincare, supplements, aromatherapy, plus mother-to-be and a lovely baby range. Personally my favourite range are the Bee Lovely products. Hundreds of bees are saved with every Bee Lovely product sold, as 3% of sales from our Bee Lovely range goes to charities that help protect this humble, vital insect. This range is suitable for the whole family (from age 3+).
For gifts, there are lower value products such as hand creams as well as gift sets from £18 – £25. Alternatively I can provide bespoke gift boxes from £30 upwards. You set the budget and I will create a beautiful gift.
Having fallen in love with the baby products (and many others for myself), I joined Neal’s Yard as an Independent Consultant last year. I host pamper evenings plus 1-2-1 consultants and have a website you can shop directly from https://uk.nyrorganic.com/shop/ruthcharlton Alternatively if you contact me directly to order I am offering FREE DELIVERY on all orders over £20 until the end of July using the code “MUMBLER”.
Our own children might be the reason we drink from time to time, so there’s no better way to say ‘thank you’ to that special teacher than with a gift of wine from Pairings Wine Bar.
Centrally located next to Coppergate Centre, Pairings is a relaxed table service Wine Bar. For those who love to discover something new, a selection of wines are offered alongside each other in the form of ‘flights’.
We are delighted to offer the following as a special gift voucher for those hard working teachers in your child’s life.
Wine Flight (three 75ml glasses of wine) in white, red or rosé in various style – £10
Sparkling Wine Flight (three 75ml glasses of wine) – £15
Pairing Flight (three wines individually paired with their perfect cheese, charcuterie or dessert) – £15
All vouchers can also be purchased for one or two people.
PAIRINGS WINE BAR
28 Castigate, York, YO1 9RP
T: 01904 848909
Let your children show their appreciation and delight his/her teacher at the end of this school year with these unique little forget-me-not seed packets. Much more thoughtful than a box of chocolates and will make the teacher smile year after year.
Four designs available – nursery children, primary school children, assistant teacher and teacher leaving.
Names of teacher/child personalised.
At wherebluebirdsfly.co.uk you can create a little box of treats to help them to relax after a busy school year, the selection of gifts include locally made candles and chocolates as well as lovely bath salts and pamper treats so you can pick and mix to create the the perfect gift, everything is packaged in a blue gift box tied up with string.
Our gifts come from UK independent businesses, Small scale designer makers and Fairtrade suppliers overseas, so not only have they been made and designed with a lot of love and care your purchase is also helping to make a difference to small independent businesses.
We hope that you will love building your own Shoe Box style hamper (Bluebird box) as much as your recipient will love opening their own carefully created gift. Our care packages style gifts are perfect for any occasion but in particular for those times when you need to send a little pick me up gift package or just to let someone know that you care and are thinking about them! We believe a tailor made gift box filled with treats selected just for them is guaranteed to brighten up their day! 15% with the code: mumbler
Other ideas and top tips from teachers
I asked a few of my teacher friends what gifts they’ve really liked, and those they haven’t.
- Unsurprisingly, booze comes out on top! You’re on to a winner with a nice bottle of wine or some beers! (Or see the idea from Pairings Wine Bar above)
- Try to avoid mugs – There are mixed feelings on this but after a couple of years, teachers have more than enough to see them through to the end of their career!
- Another gift to avoid is flowers – mainly because most teachers have a flight to catch the day after the end-of-term so they never get to enjoy them. One teacher mentioned she’d much prefer a plant over flowers – hopefully with a bit of watering by a kind neighbour they should still be going strong when they return from their travels!
- Travelling over the summer break is a big thing for teachers, so why not get them something to do with that? A lonely planet guide, passport holder or luggage tags perhaps? Or travel size goodies from Neal’s Yard above.
- All the teachers I asked said they loved homemade gifts. From candles to food – they loved the thoughtfulness of something made by their pupils. To turn something personal into a lovely piece, I really loved the idea of a picture or message being made into something practical from Into the Wood.
- Thoughtful shop-bought gifts are another big hitter – one teacher mentioned a book written by their favourite author was one of his favourite gifts. Others gifts to get a mention were scented candles, toiletries and cotton/canvas tote bags – to carry all that marking home! It’s nice to support local businesses and parents if you can. There are some ideas above and more on our ‘Buy Local – Retailers’ area HERE. The personalised seed packets are a personal favourite of mine – such a sweet sentiment and low cost too.
- Finally, for those of us who are time poor, there is absolutely nothing wrong with clubbing together and throwing a bit of money at the situation! A couple of pounds per parent can really add up to something great. If someone isn’t organising the whip-around then maybe you can do it? It’s not a big job I promise! Use the money to buy a voucher from a local shop- maybe somewhere that does a nice afternoon tea.
Happy shopping/making Mumblers and THANK YOU to all the teachers!